Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Bags, Bags, Bags!



I am on a bag kick, designing my own. The bag above is the first finished product I have to show; a few others are pictured in-process below. This one is made from an olive linen blend with the pop of Orange Leaf Dot (from Park Slope by Erin McMorris). It is a good sized shoulder bag - not too big, not too small. I am enjoying designing the bags from start to finish experimenting with different fabrics and shapes.

Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with interfacings?? For the bag above, I used fusible fleece, but think that the linen was just too thin for it. After turning the bag out several times due to ripped-out seams and redos, the fabric has that weird dimply look. Fusible fleece did work perfectly for the straps. I hate wimpy straps and need them to have some body. I purchased some decor weight fusible interfacing and am trying flannel layers and sew-in rigid interfacing...we'll see what works best.

Here are some others in progress. I picked up this dark denim and like the way it contrasts with the prints (yes, more orange...i heart orange). I love prints, but I'm not really an all-over print-bag kind of girl. I like to break it up with solids and keep simple lines.


2 comments:

  1. These look great! I really like the gathered bag at the bottom. Those prints look great with the dark denim. I had the same issue with fusible fleece when I used it on the Birdie Sling. The inside was all bumpy. Maybe because there was more surface area exposed? I've used it on smaller projects and it's been great. I just used sew-in interfacing for the first time on a Frenchy bag and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there- thanks for stopping by.
    I have been to the Fabric Shack in Waynesville- it is one of the best I've seen around...There is a nice one called Valley Quilts in Trenton I believe...I'll have to check out the one in Cincinnati...
    Thanks for the info about the indiecraftshow-I might look into that out :)
    Love your bag with the dark denim!

    ReplyDelete