Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Embellished for Baby

Last summer I picked up three relatively plain baby shirts from Old Navy. I liked the simplicity of the patterns and muted colors, and I knew they could easily be embellished. As with my last few projects, these shirts were quick and allowed me to play with colors, patterns and shapes. The top stitching got a little tedious, though!
When I started sewing again a few years ago, I went a little crazy buying fabrics, especially as I discovered all the amazing modern designers. Doesn't everyone want to buy everything in sight when they first get started? So I have a fairly decent stash of some quilting cottons from a couple of years back, not much yardage but enough to play with.


Little did I know that each designer offers new collections every year and that some fabrics become so coveted they require frequent google, etsy and ebay searches and bring premium prices! I occasionally search for Anna Maria's Small Gathering. So sad that I didn't scoop any up although I loved it so.
The fabrics used here are some favorites- from Amy Butler's Love and and Erin McMorris' Park Slope

The cute little green pants are the Quick Change Trouser from Anna Maria Horner's Handmade Beginnings in my favorite Park Slope print lined with a flannel. These seem to run a tad big. I cut a 3-6 month size and they fit my seven month old. They will be nice during some of the chillier spring days ahead. I will make more of these for sure in larger sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment