Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Summer Blouse

Here is my finished Summer Blouse from Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross. I have a few works in process from the book, so it feels good to finally finish one! After reading everyone's blog posts and viewing finished blouses on the flickr group, I knew that I would need to make some adjustments to the pattern and didn't want to use the "good" fabric on the first try. I used what I had on-hand with enough yardage, which happened to be a heavyweight cotton curtain panel from the IKEA as-is section. (I guess this is where it might be helpful to have a thrifted sheet or two or some muslin onhand.) The facings were made from a paisley home-dec remnant. Unconventional fabric choices, right? Somehow, though, they worked out!



I made a few alterations to the pattern. The neckline was lowered about 1.5" and hits just at the collarbone. I brought in the sides quite a bit and added an inch or two to the length, but unfortunately, I cannot remember how much. The book calls for a button and loop closure, but with my lowered collar that feature would not make sense.



I liked applying the facing along the neckline so much, that I went crazy and used facings to finish the cuffs and hemline. It is a nice method for hemming, especially with a heavier fabric like this. I was not looking forward to turning up the hem a couple of times and then trying to stitch through all the layers! Disclaimer: the flipped-up hem in the picture is soley for demonstration purposes! I don't plan to walk around with it flipped. I think I could pull off the flipped cuffs, though!

Today I ordered some great cotton lawn to make another version of this blouse, probably with 3/4 length sleeves and a v-neckline. It will be interesting to see a more relaxed shape using the lawn, since this finished version is so structured with the heavyweight cotton.

7 comments:

  1. Your Summer Blouse turned out great! I made the same adjustments to mine, bringing the neck down and the sides in, and it made such a difference. Good luck with your second one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love what you did with this blouse! i'm just about to make one of my own and this is my first time making a garment -- did you lower the neckline by cutting the pattern 1 1/2 inches lower across the whole neck line, or did you just lower it 1 1/2 inches at the lowest part of the neck line? sorry if this is a basic question!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley, I lowered the neckline when I cut the fabric. I first cut out the front panel piece per the pattern. While the piece was still folded, I measured 1/5" down at the fold, made a mark and drew an arc to connect my mark to the top. Then I cut out this piece. When unfolded, the piece you are taking out will look like a crescent moon. Making the cut with the piece still folded ensures that the neckline will be even. Hope this makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your shirt is my favorite one so far. i love that you took it in and the length is great. it finally looks like something i'd actually wear. i'll have to give this shirt a shot.

    thanks for you nice comment on my shirts too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the facings on the hem & cuff! i'm going to have to steal this idea =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how this turned out!! I've liked every version of this top - can't wait to get my own copy of the book. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete