Monday, May 3, 2010

Nightshirt Refashion

After seeing this nightshirt worn on the bloganista flickr group, I purchased one at Target on clearance for less than $4 for my first refashion. This top was intended to be my second entry for Rae's Top Week. The deadline was Friday 4/30. The master procrasinator in me just assumed that the deadline was Friday at 11:59:59, so after getting my daughter to bed that night, I scurried around to finish the top and upload the pictures to flickr. I was even going to be clever and name the top "the buzzer beater" or something...but checked Rae's blog and saw that the deadline was actually 8 PM. Oh well, that news allowed me to slow down and finish the top on Saturday with a little more care.
Fortunately, the nightshirt fit me perfectly across the shoulders, so no adjustments there. I cut off eight or so inches off the bottom and got started. First I opened up the collar seams and removed the collar, leaving just the band which I restitched. I took in the side and sleeve seams quite a bit.
On the placket, I removed all buttons and sewed the bottom two-thirds shut. Then from the fabric piece cut from the bottom, I created ruffles cut on the bias and sewed them right onto the placket. I like the current ruffle-trend but in small doses, so this worked well for me.

I used a hem facing and finished with a double-row of topstitching. With facings, I have been understitching (using Karyn's tutorial) which makes a big difference in the finished product. After cutting the sleeves to three-quarter length, I considered adding a bias cut binding, but decided to go with a simple casing for elastic.
This is an easy top to throw on for a comfy weekend day.

5 comments:

  1. So cute...just the perfect amount of ruffle. Too bad you didn't make it in the contest in time...I'm positive this would have been a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I think this is the second refashion I've seen on that very night shirt! It looks much better with ruffles!

    I have a weekly Thursday blog party especially for people to share things they've made to be worn. Stop by if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh very nice! sorry about that deadline...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really great! I love the tiny plaid with the ruffles. Wish you'd made it in time for Top Week! (Next year!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspirational shirt remake! I have just popped by after finding your handles for the evrything tote mentioned on Flickr, and shall now make sure I come by more often!

    ReplyDelete