Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Patterns, Prints, Plans

I have several works in progress (and works to start soon), all clothing for the spring and summer. I have plenty of solid clothes in my wardrobe, so these prints will add some fun.

Over the weekend, I started a top from Simplicity 2892. I am making the sleeveless version that is the large picture on the pattern envelope. It has a fun ruffle element that was a nice technique to try. The teal jacquard cotton is not a print a would usually choose, but the colors felt so fresh for spring. I would love to duplicate this style in my daughter's size. This is the first time I have used a commercial pattern since junior high, so it's been a nice refresher! The pattern had at least 9 or 10 pieces to cut out, so that took some time. I also agonized over the size...these pattern sizes run so differently than ready to wear clothing. I cut out one size, then held it up to my body and realized how huge it was and cut down to a smaller size.

The rust color print will become a Summer Blouse from Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross. I will likely make some adjustments to the book pattern. Fortunately, many others have made this blouse so I have been able to view pictures and comments on their various blogs. I am nearly finished making a Yard Sale Wrap Skirt (also from Weekend Sewing) from the white and red leaf print cotton. I have to make some major adjustments to the skirt for it to be wearable, at least for me. My version, cut to the pattern, is nearly a full circle skirt, way too full for my body shape. I think I'll just cut off the upper 6 inches or so of the skirt top, down to the point where the panels are much wider, to make it less full and knee length.

This weekend, I picked up Sew What Skirts and my first project will be either an a-line or beach wrap skirt from the black and white print. I like that this book gives directions to make your own patterns and try various techniques, so you can branch out from there.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you've got some great projects coming up. I bought that pattern and fabric for it last summer then found out I was pregnant. It looks so cute. Those books are great! I have made an A-line skirt from Sew What Skirts...love that book! Can't wait to see how everything goes.

    ReplyDelete