Monday, May 18, 2009

Gifts




For Mother's Day, I made this tote for my Mom. The pattern is "Amanda's Bag" from Marlous Designs. Marlous happens to be a special family member of ours, so I think that made the gift even better for Mom. The main fabric is a home dec weight I thought she would like. The lining and contrast are quilting fabrics. All were found at my local Hancock Fabric. The pattern calls for the bag to be quilting with a layer of batting. Since I am not a quilter, I just added a layer of fusible fleece. Now that it is finished, I don't know if that was a good move, as the bag is a little floppy. I may have to revamp the bag and add some rigid interfacing (...or just learn to quilt). The pattern is great and gave me a nice challenge adding a zippered pocket. The zipper pocket is hidden behind the front pocket panel. It should have been visible on the outside of the front panel, BUT I had a mishap with a very hot iron and reversed the outer pocket panels to hide a lovely scorch mark. I like the contrast that the green floral fabric adds. Behind all of those diagonal trim pieces lies a pocket, so in total there are five outer pockets and also a row of inner pockets in the lining bag. The bag is quite roomy. All in all, a success.


My sister-in-law's birthday is approaching and she visited us over the weekend from Toronto. Since she is working on her vegetable garden again this year, I thought a gardening apron might be needed. I just made up this design as I went, knowing that I wanted the apron to have lots of pockets, with some expandable ones for garden gloves, clippings, etc. The floral pocket panel is made from a thrifted kitchen towel sewn in half lengthwise. I then made some inverted pleats to make the two center pockets gusseted. The main fabric is a home dec weight gingham. I used pre-packaged bias tape to finish the top seams and make the ties. Although the colors of the gingham aren't exactly dirt friendly, I like the cheery combination!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice projects. I especially love the bag! The exterior fabric is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tote fabric is beautiful, (as is the tote!) Also like the flowered fabric on the pretty apron! What lovely gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi. i commented earlier on your heather ross tote. sorry to keep bothering you but i really like what you did with the binding and handles and i am kind of a new sewer so i just wanted to clarify:

    you took the pieces for the binding and handles and sewed them with right sides together, slipped them inside out, ironed them in half and then sewed them on - while leaving the handles open after you sewed them onto the actual bag. is that right? i hoped i reiterated well. :) i just think your way sounds a whole lot easier than the book...i read those directions over and over last night and just ended up going to bed. it's all i have left on the bag and i think your way is the way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for getting back to me lorna! ok, my son just went down for a nap... im gonna quit talking about it and finish this bad boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok all done - thank you thank you so much for the tips! it worked out great!

    ReplyDelete